Fashion Icon of the Fortnight - LUKE HEMMINGS



NOW. I know what you're thinking; '"Kira, you have NEVER in the whole existence of your blog EVER named a male as your 'Fashion Icon of the Fortnight'; what are you doing????"
Technically, you are wrong as I have YEARS ago named Calum Hood my FIOTF, but I understand that since then my 'Fashion Icon of the Fortnight' posts have become a symbol of girl power and the crowning of my favourite women in the spotlight at the moment, however I just could not help myself with creating this post.

First of all, a quick confession, this post was going to be focusing on Dua Lipa and how quickly she has been able to build her empire, but I quickly changed it and decided to keep that for another time (just because I feel like this would be a more suited time to be praising the person that is inspiring for this post).
If you are unaware of who Luke Hemmings is (do you live under a rock), he is the lead singer of band, '5 Seconds of Summer'. Now, another quick confession (literally can't I just get to the point instead of bringin up irrelevant information), I used to be a huge fan of 5 Seconds of Summer, to the point where it became a little creepy. I have seen them live 5 times, spent on average about £400 on merch, tickets and even a cheeky soundcheck package a few years ago. Since that phase of my life, the band haven't really been around that much, having a low profile on social media, not releasing any music; up until a few days ago.

On the 22nd February, 5SOS dropped their new single, 'Want You Back', teasing their album that is soon to be released later this year. Now, if you remember 5SOS in their prime, they were a pop/punk/rock band with an edgy yet young sound that targetted a wide range of people, but more specifically a younger audience. With their new single, they have completely ripped it all to shreds and started fresh with a new, mature sound... and I am in love.
Since this song was released, I have not stopped listening to it. As soon as I step out my front door to start walking to work, the first song I put on it 'I Want You Back' to prepare me for the day, and it is one of my favouite songs from the moment.

But one thing this song has helped me realise, is how much I underappreciated Luke. Back in the day, I was always an Ashton girl (until I transformed in to a Michael girl, even though throughout the whole time I was secretly a Calum girl), but I never even considered Luke because, well, he was everyone else's favourite, so I was never interested. However, since their time out, he has GROWN. Not only does he resemble a typical "surfer" straight from Bondi Beach, his style has genuinely peaked. In all honesty, when it came to public appearances and red carpet events, he was always seen favoured over the others for what he was styled to wear, however, trawling through his Instagram, he has definitely improved his own personal style and what he prefers.

For him, black, plaid and leather has always been his best friend (and, let's be honest, the rest of the band, too). Luke is lucky in the respect that he can fully pull off anything, and that is a rare trait to have. In terms of men's fashion, he is definitely on-trend, BUT MAKES IT LOOK SO EFFORTLESS! One thing I see lacking quite a lot with "trendy" celebrities is that they look as though they are trying too hard, but you will never get that with Luke as he dresses for himself and what he likes, not for anyone else or to keep up with certain trends and seasonal looks. At the moment with his fashion he is absolutely killing the game and ruling on top every time. Although the other lads always look their best, especially when it comes to appearances, and I have always said that Calum's style has always been my favourite, Luke is definitely ruling the roost.


You can tell that Luke is an incredibly hard worker, and has put a lot of effort in to his music. Even from a younger age, he always showed interest; writing his own lyrics, his own melodies, and creating music that was popular from the get go, along with the others in the band. Taking a long time out to perfect their new music and album just shows the dedication they have and what they are willing to sacrifice in order to reach success. Taking such a long time out like they did is risky when it comes to the music industry because you do become forgotten, but for them, with all the effort they have put in, creating such amazing content they have been able to gain their fan-base back almost immediately, and that shows great persistence and perseverance.


Photo Cred:
Instagram.com/lukehemmings

Comments