YOUTUBE - Cheap and Easy Nail Tutorial!


From day to day, I tend to get a lot of comments on my nails and the way they look, frequently being asked where I get them done, if I'm wearing acrylics or if I'm wearing gels; but the answer is that I do them myself, at home using extremely cheap products!

When you do them correctly, keeping your nail polish intact can be pretty easy; mine usually lasts around 2 weeks.
As it is a "frequently asked question" for myself, I thought I may as well create a video showing you my basic nail routine, using the cheapest nail polish I have just to prove to you that quality is achievable even with the most basic products!



If you would like a written version of the step-by-step guide;

  1. Firstly, I prep my nails by filing them to the correct shape and ensuring that all edges are smooth. If you have rough edges (or bite your nails, like I do sometimes) it is easy for the polish not to sit well and can be chipped easily. Side note: if you have cuticles, it may be an idea to push them back so that the nail is as smooth as possible; I do not do this as for some reason I have never had cuticles. 
  2. Secondly, it is best to use some type of nail cream, as it will clear any roughness of the nail and just make the nail polish apply easier. I use No7 'Nourishing Nail & Cuticle Care' Cream; this cream is said to promote nail growth and, although I do not need this as my nails grow wayyyy too fast, does mean that your nails are extremely healthy.
  3. Now the main part; I try and keep each coat of nail polish as thin as possible as putting on too much can mean it is easy to peel off and chip. Building up your polish takes time, but it does mean that you get the best result in the long run. I usually do about 5 coats on each hand, making sure that I have covered the whole nail, including the edge right at the tip as this is the most prone to chipping and needs the most coverage (again, applying thinly but with a lot of coats) I have used Collection's '7 Day Wear' Nail Polish in 'Ice' which ONLY COST ME £1.99! This was the cheapest polish I could find and, although is definitely not the best that I own, can be manipulated to lasting a long time following this routine!
  4. As a top coat (notice I do not use a base coat; I was trying to show you that you may not need one) I use Rimmel London's '60 Seconds Super Shine' in 'Clear' which is honestly my favourite top coat nail polish I have ever used. It makes my nails look so shiny and brings out the colour from the polish, as well as protecting the nail from chipping and wearing! I place one top coat before re-touching up the ends, covering the tips and blending it in to ensure extra coverage in those "high risk" places.
  5. Lastly, I do one more coat of the clear polish just so that everything is smoothed and covered. Then my nails are done! As said before, although the Collection Nail Polish says that it only lasts a week, it can go further with this routine by a couple of days, and other higher end polishes, like Barry M, last nearly 3 WEEKS


Thank you guys so much for reading, hopefully this has been helpful and you have enjoyed my video tutorial. Please remember to subscribe to either my blog or YouTube Channel so you do not miss a thing, remember that I post on here every other day so keep an eye out for a new post on Tuesday! 
In the mean time, why not tweet me @iridescencefash and we can have a chat about your nail routine and care!


Comments