Kira's Diary - Fun in The Sun?


So, it's nearly the end of August, which means that it is nearly the end of Summer, *sigh*. Although, technically, we still have summer for a long time, I'm not sure whether it's just me but whenever it reaches September I tend to enter Autumn mode and just forget about summer... which is kind of sad as it is almost as if I'm wishing summer away.

BUT, every summer, I always seem to make a list of things that I want to do within those couple of months that I NEVER seem to get done. Like ever.
I don't think I am the only one that does this, as I'm pretty sure a lot of people have extremely high expectations and, like myself, just end up sitting inside for weeks on end and don't do anything that I thought I would. In all fairness, I think that I would do a lot more things if I stayed at university, as coming home, being completely honest I don't have a large number of friends here as they're all off doing their own things, and because I live in the middle of nowhere there's not really a lot to do (doesn't help either that no one lives near me and I do not have my car anymore).

So, I thought I'd share with you guys a couple of things I had planned to do this summer and show you the reality behind what I actually did in comparison (I think you can kind of guess how my summer has gone already)


  • Attend Wild Life Festival in Brighton - YES
I managed to attend Wild Life Festival while I was still living at university, meaning it was easy to plan and I had people to go with. As I booked the tickets in advance and it was right at the beginning of summer, it was kind of a given that I was going to attend.
  • Attend Reading Festival - YES
Technically, this hasn't happened yet as I am attending this weekend, but it still counts. Like Wild Life I already had the tickets bought for this so it was a given that I was going to attend, but it has taken a lot of effort and work, as well as money, to sort out, so I'm hoping it will be worth it!
  • Attend Boardmasters in Cornwall - NO
This is probably the one that I am most upset about (along with Wireless to come). I planned Boardmasters before Wild Life, but I ended up spending the money on Wild Life instead, meaning I did not have enough money to attend, *sigh*.
  • Attend DON BROCO Weekend at Bedford Esquires - YES
Like Reading and Wild Life, this was budgeted for way back in May, so I already had the tickets. For the past 2 years now I have seen DON BROCO perform in my (and their) hometown, Bedford, at Esquires, and it has been some of the best gigs I have ever attended; couldn't miss attending that this summer!
  • Go on a night out every weekend - NO
Well, due to shortage of money and having to purchase items for Reading, as well as having friends that all had full time jobs (if not that, had about 3 simultaneously), it was difficult to organise, so sadly I've been on 2 nights out since June (which is painful for someone like me that attends Brighton uni and goes out quite a lot when I'm living down there).
  • Go swimming - NO
Myself and another friend did say we wanted to go swimming when we came back, however since coming home I have eaten quite a lot and haven't attended the gym, so I've been feeling a little elf-conscious, so this one wasn't something I wanted to do in the long run.
  • Attend Bedford River Festival Weekend - YES
I had never been to Bedford River Festival before, so it seemed like a good idea to go. As it's local, no big performers are there, but it is fun, and they have some great music and DJs! Also, the fair had THE BEST rides; I love any that spin, which was every single one that was there (I'm okay with rides as long as they don't go upside down, that scares me the most)!
  • Attend Dizzee Rascal Concert (ft. Jaguar Skills, Wiley and Miss Dynamite) - NO
Unfortunately, while all my friends went to Dizzee Rascal, I was at DON BROCO so couldn't attend; I didn't realise they were on the same weekend until it came to booking them.
  • Go down to Brighton to see all my friends - NO
Again, due to money (and the train costing me £45 on a good day), it was difficult for me to go down and meet up with my friends. Similarly, all my friends that are still living down there are still down because they work, meaning it's difficult to plan and organise something like that. Just going to have to wait until I go back to university!
  • Go to Kent for my friend's birthday - NO
One of my closest friends from uni lives in Kent and it was her 19th birthday the other week. I was going to go down to visit her, but due to train money and the journey being unfamiliar to me (honestly I'm so hopeless with trains that are going places I've never been, always get worried that I'll end up in the wrong place! Although, I am good with London now). As of these reasons I didn't manage to go down, but I will see her as soon as I get back to uni!
  • Visit my friends in London - NO
I have multiple friends in London that I said I would visit this summer, but, again, money is tight for me due to festivals and not having a job (as well as making sure I have enough money for my house next month). Also, like at home and in Brighton, they all have full time jobs so its difficult to organise and try to sort out.
  • Attend Wireless Festival - NO
Like Boardmasters, I was pretty gutted I didn't get to go to Wireless. The line up was absolutely incredible, but by the time I was going to book this I had already paid for Reading, Wild Life and didn't have enough spare money left over. I'll probably try and attend next year!
  • Meet up with school friends that I haven't seen in the past year - NO
In all fairness, there are a few people that I have met up with, although the main people that I was friends with in school seem to have completely vanished. I have spoken to a couple that always seem busy, and others just don't seem to be interested. I think that's a major lesson you learn when you leave school; a lot of people that you are friends with when you are younger don't stick around for long. 

Number that I completed: 4/13

So, in retrospect, it's pretty clear that my summer didn't go as planned. From my list you can see that this year I was planning to attend as many festivals a possible as I thought either I would go on a holiday with my friends abroad or go to as many festivals as possible, as I had never attended any in the past; but it didn't really work out, although I did manage to attend 2 (3 including Slam Dunk, which was May time, and 4 including Bedford River Festival, although that's just a local get together).

Hopefully your summer has been more productive than mine, what was your highlight from this year so far? Give me a tweet @iridescencefash and talk to me about your summer 16!
Thank you guys so much for Reading, hopefully you got this far, please subscribe to my blog if you haven't already, you can also subscribe to my YouTube channel where i post a video every Friday or Saturday!
I post a new blog post on here every other day, so look out for one on Wednesday! As I am attending Reading Festival this weekend, my posts on Friday and Sunday will be scheduled, as well as a video over on my YouTube channel on the Friday.

Thanks for reading!

Comments