MY TOP BADASS WOMEN OF 2015 SO FAR




I think its pretty I am SO for powerful women and their influence on the media, especially in relation to topics that have been a large focus point, such as racism and feminism. By having these young girls talk so openly and strongly about topics that are labelled as controversial in the contemporary media, it makes me so happy that they are voicing their opinions and trying to change the future that seems dark for our own, as well as younger generations to come. Usually I do my 'Fashion Icon of the Fortnight' post where I ramble on about how much this specific person is inspirational to me for expressing their views and opinions, but I thought why not make a huge blog post on these awesome women and how they have impacted my life so much in the past couple of months.




Halsey
If you read my 'FIOTF' last month when I crowned Halsey as my woman of the moment, you would've noticed how passionate I was about her and her morals. This was written before her major "beef" with internet star, Jack from Jack and Jack, who commented that the latest scheme that Halsey had tried to introduce about girls posting photos in order to build up confidence and reassurance of their body, that the campaign was used "incorrectly" labelling girls as "slutty" for taking part. This caused Ashley to literally lose the plot, shutting down Jack while calling him a misogynist with no authority to make the judgement whether girls are posting these photos or not. The reason I love Ashley the most is because she never has nothing to say; everything that she speaks is total truth, and when she feels passionate about something she always knows exactly how to articulate the situation so you can't do anything but side with her. She personally brings me so much confidence, and her campaign about not caring what others think and you should love the skin you're in speaks so loudly to me, and I honestly believe that she is a true icon. She said in a recent interview, also, that she does whatever she wants and she will never shock anyone, like a lot of celebrities do when they put on this charade that they are a perfect being. She speaks her mind and isn't afraid of what others think, and what she mentions about the media and how interviews are constantly being diluted for the sake of dodging controversial issues is SO empowering and I will stand by her every word. 



Chrissy Costanza 

Lead singer of 'Against The Current', Chrissy has often touched upon feminism on her Twitter page and having in depth conversations with fans. Being a mighty follower of Chrissy since her tweet regarding "calling a guy ugly for the sake of girl power" on the basis of Abigail Breslin's, 'You Suck' video about '5 Seconds of Summer' guitarist, Michael Clifford, I have viewed her as a wise figure. Recently, Chrissy tweeted about feminism and how she wouldn't call herself a feminist, which upset a few people. However, Chrissy soon apologised for her tweet, however went in to more detail in to why she would'nt call herself a feminist. She tweeted "Not calling myself a feminist because I didn't want to be labels actually resulted in me giving labels more power than they deserve", which I believed was extremely feasible. She mentioned that feminism shouldn't have a label because she believes everyone should support equality and doesn't understand why it would have to be seperate from basic human rights. She explained that by taking on the label she would definitely call herself a feminist, believing in equality and the spread of kindness, which I truly admired. She understood where she went wrong and fixed it, however not taking the cowards way out and explained why she believed what she was saying was correct. Only hearing of Chrissy a couple of months beforehand, it just shows how much of an impact she has had on my morals, and I respect her fervently.



Zendaya
I think its pretty clear that Zendaya is and always will be the most perfect human being on this planet. Not only is she super talented, being a triple threat and what not, she is SO beautiful and can pull off literally any look you throw at her. It makes me feel like I'm 12 when I look at her and try to remember that she is still only 18, however she is extremely wise for her age, especially on important topics, like racism. When the event occurred between Guiliana and Zendaya, with Guiliana making some serious racist remarks about Zendaya and her hairstyle, it was clear that when she responded with, "Body shaming and other hurtful tactics will never get the job done" (via Twitter), she was extremely wise for her age. Not only did she articulate one of the greatest comebacks seen to date, but she managed to sweep off the comment to show that her words didn't affect her, yet also shaming Guiliana in to realising the comment that she had made was extremely offensive; not just to Zendaya, but to a large community. Growing up in the culture that I have, I haven't lived the life that a lot of people in other cultures do, even today. However, this being said it doesn't mean that I believe in it less, and I hold morals that are extremely for the equality of all humans, as we are all the same, yet I believe we need to stop collectivising groups and view people as induviduals. Instead of giving people stereotypical traits because of their religion or race or culture, why not see people for what they believe in and the actions they have taken. For me, I believe everyone is equal until they take part in the unforgivable, from extremes, like murder, to bigoted, misogynistic, homophobic and racist views; when these are present I immediately lose respect in someone. What Zendaya has done standing up for herself makes me feel so liberated, especially as it is clear that, through her line of work working with Disney Channel, she has a large number of younger fans that would definitely look up to her. Her standards on equality just shows those younger generations that equality is the future, and you shouldn't be ashamed of who you are.





Lauren Jauregui
Without trying to sound bias (which I will), Lauren is definitely one of my favourite members of 'Fifth Harmony' (alongside Dinah who literally kills it wherever she goes). What I love about Lauren is how body positive she is, and, although all the other girls speak so strongly about how body types do not define you as a person, Lauren stands out for me for a number of reasons. She has spoken about her insecurities in the past and how they get her down a lot of the time, which I think is extremely relatable, especially for the mass market of young girls that support the group. However, she doesn't let this show, absolutely killing it on stage and not being afraid of who she is. I honestly believe the highlight of my year so far has been seeing Lauren on the beach because she seems so confident and free and it makes me feel like I can do SO many things that I'm afraid to do, when it's not actually a big deal. Lauren is such an inspiration to so many people around the world, and I think it's only time that I acknowledge her for what she's worth.




Willow Smith
Willow is such a free soul and I love everything that she stands for. I see her and her brother tweeting a lot on Twitter about subjects that I think are extremely wise and need to be spoken about. Both the siblings get a lot of negative attention for their tweets, as people find making fun about the "deep" meanings of their tweets, however if you look at what they are saying it does make a lot of sense. It is hard to think that Willow is only 14 yearS OLD(!?!?!?) and with such a wise head on her shoulders I am SO inspired by her wisdom. I look at her, and think about how much I would love to be her; her new video for 'F Q-C #7' is literally THE BEST video ever created, and her voice is to die for! I feel Willow gets too much stick for her image, yet I believe that Willow is only trying to find who she is, and I think it's pretty on-point at the moment. Repetitively bringing up that she's "different" from when she created music like 'Whip My Hair', I think a lot of people need to realise that she started from a young age, and she was only 9 years old when starting her music, meaning her image is bound to change. 
A recent story that has been flying about in relation to Willow is her comment on the '#freethenipple' campaign that has been supported by celebrities, like Cara Delevigne, Miley Cyrus and Rihanna. She posted a picture of herself wearing a top that included a photo of the breasts of a woman, however due to her age and the fact a lot of ridiculous people believed they were her own breasts, she received a lot of negative feedback. I think the campaign is a strong force that is bringing a lot of awareness to the idea of female empowerment and the repression forced on women in today's society, so for someone like Willow who is young I think it's great that she understands the power of these campaigns and the impact they are making in the media; props to her!



photo cred;
Hollywood Life
Instagram [profiles]
stupiddope.com

Comments