Fashion Icon of the Fortnight: HALSEY



Ashley Frangipane. If you search her name in to Google a vast amount of photos appear of a girl that closely resembles a mermaid and is, let's face it, absolutely beautiful. It's no wonder when paired with her unique voice and incredible song-writing skills that she is adored by so many people, building up a strong army of followers, especially on Twitter and Instagram. Although this is a fashion post on a fashion blog (like you didn't guess already), if you read my FIOTF's you will realise a lot of the worthy title-holders are more than what meets the eye. With Ashley (AKA Halsey), she is extremely passionate about morals and equality in society which I admire.

Carrying out my daily checks on Twitter, I often come across Ashley defending herself to a lot of people, sometimes even fans, for ideals that she shares which some label as "risky" for someone as famous as she is to be talking about on Twitter. But what I love about her is that when she is being called out for stating her opinion, she NEVER backs down. A lot of celebrities would delete their tweets, write an apology for actually having an extremely valid opinion and then hope that it is all forgotten, however Ashley ENSURES that people are aware on how she feels and won't let anyone tell her any different. A lot of the points that she makes are incredibly valid, and I admire how well her points come across. Not only does she throw the most intellectual reasons towards subjects like feminism and sexuality, but she knows how to make an impact, something I could only wish to be able to do. Especially on her opinions of feminism, I was extremely intrigued by her words of wisdom and her opinions surrounding the status of feminism and the twisted values that have been made infamous in the media. 


Additionally, I remember a couple of years ago watching a video of Ashley on her YouTube talking about her past and the difficulties she faced growing up. Speaking openly about her past made me admire her seeming as it's something a lot of people struggle to do, and being someone that has spoken about their feelings towards self-harm and depression, Ashley has been able to share her wise words with a vast majority of internet viewers, which I believe is the reason behind what makes Ashley such a good role model. People often overlook this because of her posts about sex and pictures of her smoking, however recently Ashley reminded everyone that no matter what you do you do not have to have a negative reaction. For example, a few days ago Ashley tweeted that she found it extremely offensive what some people shout at her when she is performing, with one fan responding that the way she acts on stage and online links to how she is treated as people are only reacting to her; however Ashley shot down the tweeter with, "nothing! a! woman! does! justifies! unwanted! sexual! attention!". To sum this all up: THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I BELIEVE IDOLS SHOULD REACT; NOT ONLY HAS SHE SPOKEN OUT ABOUT SOMETHING OTHERS ARE USUALLY SCARED TO, BUT SHE DEFENDED HERSELF ON AN EXTREMELY SENSITIVE SUBJECT THAT MEANS A LOT TO HER! BEING SOMEONE THAT PROUDLY SUPPORTS MOVEMENTS THAT ARE LINKED TO SEXUALITY, GENDER AND ANY OTHER FORM OF EQUALITY, ASHLEY IS EXACTLY WHAT IS NEEDED FOR THESE MOVEMENTS TO BE HEARD, AND I TRULY BELIEVE THAT SHE IS THE VOICE THAT WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR. (sorry for capitals, I just feel so strongly about this subject)



On to a less heavy subject, Ashley has some of the greatest outfits I have ever seen and can literally pull anything off. From extremely cute dresses, to rad sports wear, Ashley literally has the most versatile wardrobe I've ever seen, which also links to her ever-changing hair colour (her pink hair was so rad I loved it so much but have you seen her with her natural curls when I first saw it I was like !!!!!!! but let's chill for a second so I can compose myself again).

Overall, I think it's pretty clear that Ashley AKA Halsey is one of the raddest people walking this earth at the moment, not only figured through her incredible music and fashion sense, but just her awesome personality and clear morals. It's pretty obvious that looking at my Fashion Icon's listed so far I've got a pretty rad group of badasses who literally scream female empowerment, and that's what my job is when it comes to these posts. I want you guys to realise that for someone to be admirable, or strong, or rad, like Ashley, it's not just about fashion and beauty, which a lot of people talk about on these types of blogs, but it's also what you feel in your heart and what you truly believe in. Standing up for yourself and having your own voice makes you rad and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Due to the content of this text post I wasn't going to include a style steal section, but due to how awesome Ashley dresses and the fact you guys probably want this segment too, I thought I'd include it (bc why not):

- Staring at Stars Fringed Tee Dress - Ashley often goes for the over-sized shirt style with her dresses and this particular one from Urban Outfitters ties in with her other outfit choices that often consume of blacks and a silky, thin material. It's so difficult choosing items that suit Ashley's style as it is so versatile, however I love this dress and think it depicts her style well.

- Washed Denim Dungarees from Free People - Dungarees are an easy wear for any type of occasion and Ashley pulls these off great. Often wearing them with an oversized top, denim dungarees are definitely in fashion this spring and I would definitely recommend picking up a pair like these from Free People.

- White Drop Stitch Zip Back T-Shirt from New Look - This is similar to a top that Ashley has worn in the past, although is a little less edgy than the one that she opted for. This type of tee is great for throwing over another coloured shirt and making your outfit look vibrant and outgoing. 

Photo Cred:
Instagram.com/iamhalsey
stopcalum2k15.tumblr.com

Comments