Fashion Icon of the Fortnight: ACACIA BRINLEY




Every corner I seem to turn when on the internet, Acacia Brinley is there, whether she's dominating Instagram, promoting Oli Syke's, DROP DEAD Clothing, or hanging out with boyfriend, Benn Suede from the band, Crown The Empire. And recently opening my Instagram account for this account, I noticed, when looking for celebrity style steal accounts to follow, there are TONNES dedicated to Acacia and her fashion choices; and I think out of every person crowned my FIOTF so far, Acacia probably has the most relatable style for me, due to how laid-back she is in her choice of clothing, and quite possibly one of my favourites.

Choosing items that look e x t r e m e l y expensive (and probably are) yet are pretty versatile items, she manages to dress well for occasions, knowing the difference between formal and informal, yet being able to push boundaries. Although I agree, there should be no boundaries on what you can and cannot wear to different events, I think it's only etiquette that you dress appropriately for events, which Acacia does, knowing how to dress amazing for red carpet events as well as just a casual trip to her favourite in-n-out.

Being predominantly famous from YouTube and other social media networks, she has managed to work her way to fame, allowing access to the hottest parties and red carpet events in America, all down to her success through internet vlogging. 
When I first heard of Acacia, it was back in 2012 when I first saw her video entitled 'boyfriend quiz' (let's not mention names). Already, I thought she was awesome seeming as she played 'James Dean and Audrey Hepburn' by Sleeping With Sirens in the background of her video, which is still one of my favourite songs to date. However, after this, things seem to spiral out of control with Acacia, as pictures unearthed of her, hate messages seem to increase and she publicly broke up with her YouTube-famous boyfriend. The attitude that Acacia used to face these people was taken as "pretentious", however looking back it is clear that this was never her motif. She was ridiculed for rumours that had no truth behind them, she was called attention seeking after posting a video talking about bullying and how hurtful words can be, which I think just shows the type of world that we live in. If that was me, I would've been driven to breaking point, especially over the comments people had; but she carried on going, growing her channel, her viewers and throughout it all it was clear that she was able to find herself within it all. 

What I like about her, also, is that she's not afraid to be herself anymore. A lot of those in fashion and beauty and modelling often hide away those guilty pleasures that may become embarrassing, however Acacia channels her inner nerd quite a lot. Knowing that she has a large collection of stuffed toys and a major obsession with Star Wars and Chris Pratt just makes me wanna give her a high five and watch crappy action films with her while discussing make up and fashion choices like the self-proclaimed nerd I am too (I mean, you can't tell me that Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't a good film, I saw that movie 4 times in the cinema). Her music is also varied and she is proclaimed to love singing and performing, joining a couple of bands in the past before choosing to just sing for pleasure.

Last year she posted a video on her YouTube channel which she spoke out about her social anxiety and how it makes her feel. This brought back, to my surprising, a huge amount of negative feedback. This shocked me due to how much I admired her for doing this. She mentioned factors that she said she couldn't deal with, such as when she is with people a lot of the time she feels quite overwhelmed and just wants to go back in to her room and be on her own, and every point that she made I felt the same. Being someone who frequently has panic attacks over reasons such as having to go to work, facing people that I don't want to face and even over meeting friends outside of school in social situations that should just come natural to me, I was able to relate to Acacia, and it upset me that she was filming that video to raise awareness of the issue and, to be honest, make those that have ever sent mean messages to her, feel guilty, which they need to feel. Seeing all of the messages that she received, I started to doubt my perception on her anxiety, with many people mentioning that she wouldn't be able to do a bikini shoot if she had social anxiety blah blah (although I was 75% sure that being behind a camera, even in a bikini, is nothing compared to being around people IF that is the trigger of her anxiety). BUT when searching for reaction videos I came across this video that made a whole lot of sense about her whole situation and I think it should get a lot of credit.




Speaking about something that affects so many people, especially those young, I thought it was extremely brave of her to speak out, and witnessing what she's had to go through, I think that she's incredibly strong and without judging someone on their mistakes made in the past, she is a great role model. She strives to achieve her goals, and working in fashion, blogging and modelling she's had an extremely great career for someone at the age of 17, I mean she's the same age as me and I could never dream of having the success she's had so young! 
Back to fashion though, she's changed style as many times as the sun has come up, yet it just makes me appreciate her more. Like anyone, we change style with the seasons, and she obviously understands what's in fashion at certain times. Her band/grungy style that she's rocking at the moment is certainly my favourite style, following the likes of Kylie Jenner with the dark colours and edgy cuts. 
I cannot find the video where she talks about her anxiety however I feel like this video is also pretty important;









Acacia Style Steals:
Acacia is known for her dungarees, and these from This Is Welcome mirror her style completely. I find dungarees extremely easy to dress, especially black as they can be dressed up or down. For up-styling, Acacia usually chooses a lace crop, like this Hearts and Bows Pisces Lace Crop Top from ARK Clothing, however channelling your inner Acacia nerd you could go for my favourite style and choose a band tee.
Check shirts (flannels for you yanks) are definitely my go-to item of clothing, and this hybrid of a shirt as a dress is probably one of the most genius inventions E V E R! Acacia has often worn these shirts as a dress with boots which is my favourite way to wear these. Many celebrities have often gone for the denim shirt dress with kitten heels and oversized bag, getting their 'Miranda Kerr' impression to a T, however my preferred is definitely the style that Acacia and Kylie both represent.
The mix of both cats and Star Wars is certainly the style that Acacia would go for, and it perfect for those that actually follow the fashion that now labels "nerdy" as awesome (which I think we've all known for a long time anyway). Purchasing this item in a larger size and pairing with ripped jeans and lace up boots gives that cute yet edgy style that Acacia goes for. Why not finish the look off with her famous dark eyes, dark lips [watch her tutorial here]

Question of the Day:
If you were a YouTuber what would be your video themes?

Comments