Fashion Icon of the Fortnight: TAYLOR SWIFT



Yes, this is it, the return of my Fashion Icon of the Fortnight, and what a way to kick it off with naming one of the least likely people for me to put crown (bit of an exaggeration, there's plenty of worse people that I could give the title to). If you would've told my 2012 self that Taylor Swift would be my FIOTF, I would've told you that you were crazy, but, after seeing her recent antics I think she's a worthy winner. 




Firstly, I've never been a huge fan of Taylor, with her music not appealing to me, and being quite naive in regard to the media a few years ago I was never a fan due to the stories that were publicised about her. However, this year I saw a different side to Taylor that I never thought that I would see. My best friend, Chloe, is a huge fan of Taylor and has been for a while, but I never really listened to her when she was talking about how great she was, until one day when she told me that Taylor had released a new song titled, 'Shake it Off'. She linked me the video and after watching it I thought it was funny how she practically took everything that the media have said about her in the past and turned it around to say that she doesn't really care about this perception that everyone has about her, and it got me thinking. She was advertising such a great message about how you shouldn't worry about what others say about you and should just enjoy life as you can and I thought that it was very inspirational that she done this, when not a lot of celebrities do.

After this, when her album dropped, Chloe was talking to me about her favourite song on the album which happened to be 'Blank Space', the next video to be released by Taylor, and I have to say it was one of my favourite music videos to date from any artist I've seen (although I just watched the Night Changes video and that was pretty impressive). The way that she literally took this persona that everyone makes her out to have in the media and warped it in to the most interesting character is one of the most clever ideas that I've ever seen.


Not only does she seem like one of the smartest pop icons of all time, but she seems like such a loyal friend, with the likes of Lorde and Karlie Kloss falling in to the list of her closest friends. Recently Lorde stuck up for Taylor after DJ and boyfriend to Katy Perry, Diplo, made a rather rude and unnecessary on Taylor's rear end, with Lorde hitting back, making a comment on his "tiny penis" which I think anyone would do sticking up for a great friend, which Taylor obviously is. 

I don't want to mention her past relationships as I feel like every single post written about her always mentions her relationship statuses, which I don't think are important. Instead I'm going to talk about her amazing clothing choices she's made throughout her career. 
Although she has worn some of the strangest outfits (lets not talk about her aqua blue alphabet playsuit worn to the VMAs which, although was flattering for her figure, probably wasn't the best choice of outfit). Taylor has been very hit and miss with me, however when she gets it right, she really gets it right, like her J. Mendel custom dress worn to the Annual Academy of Country Music Awards earlier this year, which was a two-piece style dress in monochrome colouring. Also, I absolutely love the white number that she wore to last year's People's Choice Awards as well as her short and sexy gold number for the 2012 AMA's (total tb). You have to admit, when it comes to red carpet elegance, Tay has got it down to a T, with most of her gowns being extremely elegant and chic, as well as being savvy and stylish, something that a lot of stars get wrong a lot of the time (and sometimes Taylor, but we'll let that slide)!

In my opinion, Taylor knows how to dress for red carpet more than street style, simply because her everyday outfits are not my cup of tea. I usually love seeing celebrities looking ultra edgy in their ripped skinny jeans and leather jackets, especially when they have these pristine reputations that sees them in little sundresses and kitten heels (cough Ariana Grande cough), but Taylor is one of the most "poshest" celebrities I've seen just walking around the street! She literally is spotted getting coffee wearing some of the most pretty dresses I've ever seen and would look so great, and I don't think she's been seen wearing a pair of jeans in public since 2007! Any who, I think that its great that she definitely has a personal style and doesn't follow the crowd. 

I think it's important that we have a role model in society like Taylor, who teaches kids that they don't have to be like everyone else. Not only is she a leading woman in the music industry, she's from the COUNTRY genre which is extremely rare, and she knows how to have fun! She dresses appropriately and is just completely herself with everything she does and hasn't ever lost touch of reality or who she is, and that's extremely important, so Taylor Swift, WE SALUTE YOU.


Dress like Taylor;
Clean Cigarette Trousers from TOPSHOP - These sandy coloured cigarette trousers are perfect when copying Taylor's everyday style. When she opts for trousers, she usually goes for the chino/straight trouser look with a shift top or long-sleeved jumper, creating that "Cambridge School Girl" look.
ASOS Stripe Open Back Smock Beach Dress - The casual stripes and smock-style dress are both factors that I highly suspect you'll see looking in to Taylor's wardrobe, and this dress combining the two is great for her everyday LA style. Although it's not exactly a dress you would be wearing in New York, Taylor's favourite place, especially at this time of year, this dress is perfect for the festival season if you're looking at dressing like Taylor.
Petite Shimmer Maxi Dress from Miss Selfridge - Looking at Taylor's flawless red carpet look, this dress from Miss Selfridge is the perfect style steal, with the 50's theme that she so often opts for mixed with the white and cream colours that she chooses regularly. This is a great dress for those Christmas parties you'll be attending, or why not save it for your school formal or "prom"?

Taylor's High Street Store - Lavish Alice
Taylor's style is quite chic, so I think that Lavish Alice holds. They stock quite formal, although stylish, which I think compliments Taylor's style, and their dresses, such as their Cream Metallic Boucle Funnel Neck Cropped Tee Dress is great for Taylor's up to date red carpet attire. They stock knitwear, trousers and tops, like their Black and White Baroque Funnel Neck Long Sleeve Crop Top (with choice of matching skirt), which is the style that Taylor has gone towards in the past when going for the co-ord look. Lavish Alice definitely stock a lot of items that would be great for Taylor's style steal, and the store is great for those that opt for chic rather than savvy. 
To add, the celebrity listed in no way has contact with the store that I am linking them to, these are based on my own personal decisions.Credit to:
hawtcelebs.com
billboard.com
thelineofbestfit.com
rarelondon.com
huffingtonpost.com
TOPSHOP.com
asos.com
missselfridge.co.uk
lavishalice.com

Question of the Day;
- What is your favourite song by Taylor?

If I have used any of your content and you are not happy with this, please just email me and I'll take the content off or will carry out the deed you will like me to do; sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Comments