Fashion Icon of the Fortnight: CAMILA CABELLO




My music taste is quite varied, although I can easily label my favourite genre with the likes of All Time Low, Tonight Alive and Paramore; however, finding it hard to grow up and take responsibility for my own life actions, I extremely enjoy the cheesy "American" pop of the likes of Justin Bieber, Austin Mahone and none other than Fifth Harmony. As somebody who feels strongly about female empowerment, I often seem to love any band that reforms around women that take charge, and following their recent release of 'BO$$' that screams leadership and authority, I am even more in love with this band, even since their first song that I saw them perform on X Factor USA (their rendition of 'Anything Can Happen' by Ellie Goulding).
I was going to put all the girls as my FIOTF, however I thought that it would be easier for me to just name one (plus it gives me more for the future to name); therefore, I have decided to name Camila as my winner of this fortnight's title, purely based on how much I want to be her. Not only is she linked to some of the most greatest and attractive guys on the planet *cough* Austin and Michael *cough* (as friends, of course), she also is uber talented, not forgetting extremely stunning. It's no doubt when listening to any songs of the girls (I recommend you check out their live performances of 'Reflection' or 'Going Nowhere', taken from their album soon to be released in a couple of months), these girls are extremely talented. From the youngest being Dinah who is only 17 years old, to the oldest of Ally at 21, these girls are singing as good as the next 30/40 year olds that have been singing for most of their lives. Their first single of Miss Moving On (taken from their EP 'Better Together') made them the first act from X Factor USA to debut on the Billboard 100, already sending them straight to success, without even having an album released!
Focusing on Camila, it is clear that, even at 17, she fully knows who she is. Labelled as the "preppy one" in the band, always wearing block heels, pastel skater skirts and oversized bows, she was definitely the girl that all the younger fans took inspiration from when it came to their fashion choices; however, following their release of new music promoting their soon-to-be-released album, the band changed their style from cute pop girl-next-door's to awesome and powerful young women that will put up a fight to reach their dreams. Their style changed to skimpy outfits, although tasteful, similar to those usually sported by pop queens Beyonce and even Ariana Grande; they have matured their look and music, which appeals to the older audience that I think they are trying to connect to. Camila looks great in anything, it is clear to say, and when I first found out about Fifth Harmony I was o b s e s s e d with Camila's wardrobe (although I was never one to dress preppy myself). 
It wasn't just Camila's style that enticed me to become completely obsessed with her to the point that I actually wanted to steal her identity, but it was also her great sense of humour and kind personality. Being one of the youngest in the group, it is clear that she is still quite "young", especially when it comes to the likes of One Direction and Harry Styles who, like myself, she is completely infatuated by, and I'm so jealous that she's actually been in contact with him and the others. Most of her tweets and vines (as well as other posts on social media sites) often include a humorous ideal, especially her vines such as her recent 'Platform 9 3/4' video, showing that she's not one to take life too seriously, which I think is awesome and a great quality to possess as a role model. I think it's pretty clear that she has great morals and understandings of the world, even still being as young as she is, and it teaches youngers that life isn't to be taken seriously and it's to be enjoyed while it still can; she's taking advantage of every moment, being in the spotlight and living her dream, to make every second count, and the amount of effort her and the other girls have put in to making it this far just shows their fans how much is taken to reach your dreams, as well as the factor of never giving up. Their music is full of empowering messages of never letting anyone take advantage of you, or let anyone, especially a guy put you down; In 'Miss Moving On', "it killed me but I survived, and now I'm coming alive", shows that breaking up or being hurt by someone you liked or got close to will hurt, but in the long run you'll realise how much it was irrelevant, as well as highlighting what you learnt from the experience of the events occurring. Their song 'Reflection' teaches self-confidence, seeming as recently media advertisements and promotions have highlighted to many people that they should believe that importance and belief in yourself is a form of arrogance and self-indulgence, two things that are labelled as "bad". However I think it is important to spread the word that it is possible for you to feel comfortable in your own skin, and enjoying being the person you are doesn't make you a selfish or arrogant person, it makes you happy! Same for 'One Wish', describing the break up and how great their life is without that person constantly beating them down, including lyrics such as, "I'm good never feeling low", sharing the idea to their fans that if someone puts you down, you shouldn't care and spend all your time feeling down and upset when they really don't matter because you are great!

That's why I am naming Fifth Harmony (specifically Camila as it means that I now have 4 others up for the running of my FIOTF and 4 extra posts that I can spend rambling about how much I love this group!) my 'Fashion Icon of the Fortnight', for their amazing contributions to the music world, as well as the great messages they are sending out to young girls and guys everywhere about the values of self-importance and female empowerment, not forgetting their amazing fashion choices!
Check out their newest release, 'Them Girls Be Like' here on their YouTube!:)
Dress Like Camila;


ASOS Mesh Hair Bow with Faux Pearl - For the ultimate Camila throwback, opt for this extremely oversized bow, great for dressing up or down; the pearls add colour and style to this extremely simple hair accessory. This accesorry completely follows the original style of Camila, although pulling in the more mature look she has opted for now with the neutral and sophisticated colour scheme; you can purchase this item for £10 at ASOS.

Pale Blue Cut Out Split Front Chunky Heels - Firstly, the style of these shoes are amazing for paralleling Camila's usual shoe choices, let alone the pastel blue colour that is demonstrated along side the perfect choice shoes. These shoes are great for wearing with some jeans and a nice top (preferably a pale pink or cream colour), however, to follow Camila's style, I would pair it with a shift dress, either a pale pink, cream or white, that is the perfect shape for your figure; Camila often goes for tight dresses, however not figure-hugging. 

ASOS Shift Dress in Scuba with High Neck - This simple dress is perfect if you have a petite frame like Camila. The old school style follows her fashion choices greatly, especially her outfit ideas when it comes to interviews and TV appearances, which she often dresses maturely for. Her stage clothing, like every artist/performer, is completely different to her ideal fashion choices, which is why the sophisticated look connoted by this dress is perfect for mirroring Camila's amazing fashion ideas.


Camila's High Street Store; New Look
I would chose New Look as Camila's High Street store due to the amount of items that Camila would probably opt for, especially the footwear. Usually sporting chunky wedged heels, New Look are packed to the brim with different shapes, colours and styles of wedges, with many other stores seemingly running low on their stock. Specific items that suit the style of Camila are the likes of their Grey High Neck Long Sleeve Swing Dress, Black Floral Tile Print Slim Leg Trousers and their Shell Pink Fluffy Necklace Short Sleev Jumper, all presenting the preppy, yet mature, style of Camila!
Just to note that the cleebrities mentioned in my post have no relation to the shops that they have been linked to; this is purely based on my own opinion:)

Credit to;
newlook.co.uk
asos.com
photo credit to those that own them, I do not own these photos; if you are the owner and wish for these to be taken down, email me and I will make sure that they are taken down, sorry for any inconvenience!

Question of the day: Who's your favourite member of Fifth Harmony and why?

Comments