Fashion Icon of the Fortnight: CALUM HOOD

[Sorry I haven't been present for so long, a lot has been happening with school and starting a new academic year as well as events, such as Where We Are Tour! I went to see One Direction on the 8th and can easily say that it was the best experience of my life. I saw them back in April 2013 at the TMHT but this was just as great. I had a VIP pass so we got to go in the lounge, as well as sitting on the other side of the barrier to Eleanor Calder (she's so pretty!). It was so great and I really wish I could do it all again, I had the best time of my life.]

On to this week's post, I thought I would do something a bit different for this week for my fashion icon. It took me a while to think of someone that could take Gigi's spot for my Fashion Icon of the Fortnight, and the likes of Kylie Jenner and Asami Zdrenka in the running, however recent outfits haven't stood out to me as much (although I did love what Asami wore to the Kerrang! Awards this week.) With that said, I thought to myself, "Who has stood out recently for being so greatly dressed?", which was when I thought about 5 Seconds of Summer's bassist, Calum Hood. Dressing differently from his other band mates, he stands out with his on-trend jackets and laid back style, looking great in the process. 







Calum recently great at the Billboard Music Awards, alongside bandmates guitarist and vocals, Luke Hemmings, guitarist, Michael Clifford and drummer, Ashton Irwin, sporting a khaki bomber-type jacket (all links are exact matches) with a grey oversized T-Shirt (oversized tees are really in for the colder summer days), with the band's signature skinny black jeans and black vans. His style stood out in comparison to his other band members, such as Michael Clifford (2nd left) who wore a sleeveless leather jacket paired with a Green Day Tee and black skinny jeans. 

The difference of his style compared to his band mates made me notice him more, as it made me think that he wasn't afraid to stand out. His 90's style outfits, like the one worn to the Billboard Awards caught my eye as he looked on-trend in comparison to the others, like Ashton Irwin who was dressed to compliment the band's music genre. Looking at Calum separately to the band he dresses very ordinary, in oversized tees and black skinny's which makes me admire his dress sense even more. The laid back style is something that I find attractive myself, so the fact he is on-trend emphasises this statement (from own knowledge and understanding). 


Another recent outfit which I have loved of Calum's is his 'No Morals' top worn in an interview. I really loved the style of oversized jumpers and tees so this outfit I thought was stylish and on-trend (plus it just showed that Calum can pull off anything). Other band members have followed this style in the past, including Ashton Irwin, who seemed to be the first in the band to follow this trend. 

The likes of muscle tees and tank tops seems to be a go-to for all in the band, especially during performances. Muscle tees are more in fashion than tank tops, as the large shoulder surface as well as the shorter length makes these tops a must-have for this summer. This seems to be Calum's go-to look for the summer, whereas, instead of like bandmate, Ashton, who opts for heavy coats, Calum sticks to jumpers, how most worn this grey/black jumper from Drop Dead Co (most of the clothing worn is probably straight out of Drop Dead from looking down what is available on the site!)

As I always say, I don't chose someone to be my style icon unless they are worthy inside and out, and from videos loaded by the band members on their highly popular social media websites, including YouTube and Instagram, and the videos posted does show them all as fun loving and down to earth, taking their career seriously as well as keeping grounded and acting their age (found recently by vocalist Luke posting a photo of a naked Calum on Twitter). 



It is clear that as a band they hold a great relationship with one another, growing up together and attending the same schools (other than Ashton who is a few years older). Their chemistry is what makes them seem such lovely and down to earth lads, and in all fairness I would've named them all my fashion icon of the fortnight! However, due to Calum's style in comparison to the other 3, I feel like he has a more British, current style, whereas the others are sticking to their "rock" roots, investing in 'Sid and Nancy' tops and plaid shirts (which are still pretty awesome). Matched with his personality, seen in interviews as quite timid in comparison to the other three, he often gives serious answers, although investing in the fun of the band as well. This mix shows that although he is a lovely guy who is portrayed as caring as well as sensitive (must admit I teared up a bit at Where We Are Tour when he started singing Amnesia ((((although I have heard it twice already live))))) he also present himself as the teen boy that he is, showing that he doesn't have to be in the limelight to change his characteristics. And when I constantly hear all of them say they still don't think they are considered celebrities, it makes me realise how down to earth they truly are (as well as being reminded that none of them will ever fall in love with me, sigh). 

Therefore it is clear that Calum is, like all other candidates worthy of this Fashion Icon of the Fortnight title, even being a male! From his style to his music he is very on-trend, showing he is fit for the title, alongside all his other bandmates. I think that naming a male as my Fashion Icon of the Fortnight is a brave thing to do (and it has been hard, its taken me 3 days to write this post and it still probably doesn't make sense!) I think it is important not to stereotype as well as sexist in a way by labelling fashion as a femenist thing. I think bringing in male wear as well as icons that guys can look up to in relation to fashion is important as I think anyone can take interest in what they and others look like no matter what gender. I think that fashion has become such a one sided object that people view it as a negative if a woman says that she is interested in fashion, such as some women may say that liking fashion means that she is to feminine and doesn't want to follow that road. I don't think that fashion has anything to do with femininity yet it is just another form of expression, no matter how you dress, so I think that labelling Calum as my Fashion Icon of the Fortnight loosens that facade that people seem to have on women being the only relation to fashion. 


ps. Sorry I haven't been on for so long! I have been trying to write this post for a long time and it took me forever! I started it on Friday (now Tuesday)! I promise that I will return with my weekly blog posts next week, thanks! 

I hope you enjoyed this post also, I wanted to change it up by bringing in male fashion so that I could spread my blog to a wider audience. I think it is important to acknowledge males in fashion as well as females!


[credit to photo owners as these are not mine; if you wish to email me regarding whether you want to be credited or have them removed, please do so! Sorry for any inconveniences!]

Question of the Day: What's your favourite out of all the tattoos that Calum has?

Comments